Turmeric Superfood Smoothie Recipe
Turmeric, also known as Curcuma longa, is a golden yellow rhizome (or tuberous root) related to ginger. For thousands of years, this aromatic spice has been used in Indian and Southeast Asian cuisine to add flavor and color to food. Turmeric is also a staple in Ayurvedic practice, thanks to its healthy benefits.
“Turmeric contains a powerful antioxidant, curcumin — which has been shown to have some anti-inflammatory properties — in addition to containing potassium, phosphorus, calcium, and fiber,” says Cameron Fiorenza, BS-NDTR.
You’ve probably heard of golden milk, the popular drink made with turmeric, spices, plant-based milk, and honey. This smoothie recipe takes it up a notch by blending in yogurt, mango, and coconut milk for a thicker, creamier consistency — similar to a mango lassi.
Those ingredients also add a few bonus benefits of their own: “This turmeric smoothie partners with Greek yogurt for extra protein, coconut milk for healthy fat, mango for vitamin C and fiber, and ginger for a spicy kick that also provides gingerol, an antioxidant,” Fiorenza says. “This beautiful blend of ingredients creates a harmonious balance of macro and micronutrients.”
Here’s how to whip up this creamy and delicious concoction.
Turmeric Lassi Smoothie Recipe
This turmeric smoothie is so delicious, especially during cooler months!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ice
- 1 cup frozen cubed mango
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk beverage
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat (2%) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. fresh grated turmeric root (or 1½ tsp. ground turmeric)
- 1 tsp. fresh grated ginger (or ½ tsp. ground ginger)
Combine water, ice, mango, coconut milk, yogurt, turmeric, and ginger in a blender; cover.
Blend until smooth.
- Fresh turmeric root can be found at your local grocery store near the ginger. Look for it in bulk or in a clamshell container.
- Dry turmeric is readily available in the spices and seasonings aisle.
- Black pepper can help improve the bioavailability of curcumin, so you may want to sprinkle a pinch of black pepper on your smoothie to boost its healthy benefits.