Few snacks are as uniquely refreshing as the combo of juicy fruit and peppery chili powder in our recipe for Tropical Salad with Mango, Avocado, and Chicken.
I’m really into this union of cumin, chili powder, and fresh serrano chili as a dressing. It’s fresh and complex, the way a great dressing should be. The savory heat of this sauce cuts the sweetness of the mango and pineapple, while the buttery avocado pulls the disparate flavors together.
This tropical salad recipe is one I’d definitely bust out at a potluck and I recommend you try it at your next one. Just remember to keep the dressing and salad separate until serving because contrary to popular belief, you can make friends with salad — but not with soggy mango.
This medley of flavor and good-for-you fruits, herbs, and lean protein can also be enjoyed solo.
Tropical Salad with Mango, Avocado, and Chicken
This summery tropical salad with chicken and mango is a delicious high-protein lunch!
- 2 Tbsp. 100% pineapple juice
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Serrano chile seeded, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. ground chili powder
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. sea salt or Himalayan salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ medium mango peeled, cubed
- ¼ medium ripe avocado cubed
- ¼ cup cubed fresh pineapple
- ½ cup cubed jicama
- 3 oz. cooked chicken breast boneless, skinless, cut into bite-size pieces
- 12 leaves fresh cilantro chopped (for garnish; optional)
Combine pineapple juice, vinegar, oil, Serrano chile, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper in a small bowl; whisk to blend. Set aside.
Place mango, avocado, pineapple, jicama, and chicken in a medium bowl; mix well.
Drizzle with dressing; toss gently to blend.
Garnish with cilantro if desired.
The Nutrition Facts box below provides estimated nutritional information for this recipe.
Photos by Kirsten Morningstar