This salad is topped with hearty sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are high in beta-carotene, potassium, and manganese and are perfect to add to any salad. For this one, we added some pumpkin seeds and diced green apple to add a bit of crunchiness.
Sweet Potato Salad
This tasty sweet potato salad recipe is healthy and hearty without the excessive calories.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil extra-virgin
- 1½ tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp. raw honey (or pure maple syrup)
- 1 dash sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh herbs like basil, oregano or parsley, (to taste; optional)
- 1 small baked sweet potato peeled, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple chopped
- ½ medium red bell pepper chopped
- 1 stalk green onion finely sliced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 4 cups fresh arugula
- 2 Tbsp. raw pumpkin seeds toasted (or chopped raw walnuts)
Combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and herbs (if desired) in a medium bowl; whisk to blend. Set aside.
Combine sweet potato, apple, bell pepper, onion, and cilantro in a large bowl; mix well.
Drizzle dressing over sweet potato mixture; toss gently to blend.
Evenly top two serving plates with arugula. Evenly top with sweet potato mixture; sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
Tip: Bake fork-pierced sweet potato at 450° F for 30 to 40 minutes or until just tender. Do not over bake; cool.
The Nutrition Facts box below provides estimated nutritional information for this recipe.