This salad of crunchy radishes, juicy cherry tomatoes, mild green onions, chickpeas, and feta is delicious with or without lettuce.
For a different spin, we combined our leftover bean mixture with a can of tuna — and it was a revelation. Keep the mixture separate from the salad greens until you’re ready to serve, then top the summer chickpea salad with creamy avocado slices.
Summer Chickpea Salad
This bright salad is hearty and full of delicious flavors.
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 4 tsp. olive oil extra virgin
- 6 medium red radishes ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 4 green onion thinly sliced
- 1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained, rinsed
- 1 cup halved tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 Tbsp. crumbled feta cheese (1/2 oz.)
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado chopped
Combine lemon juice, mustard, and garlic in a small bowl; whisk to blend.
Slowly add oil, whisking continuously until blended. Set aside.
Combine radishes, green onions, chickpeas, and tomatoes in a large serving bowl.
Drizzle with dressing; toss gently to blend.
Evenly arrange greens on six serving plates. Top evenly with chickpea mixture, cheese, and avocado.
The Nutrition Facts box below provides estimated nutritional information for this recipe.
Photograph by Kirsten Morningstar.