What to Expect From an Openfit Live Running or Walking Class
Outdoor running and walking classes can be a fun way to get the live class experience. You can either choose to be indoors on a treadmill or outdoors around your neighborhood or a park. Classes range from 15 – 60 minutes, and like Openfit’s other live classes, you’ll get real-time coaching from a certified live trainer.
Why should I try a live running or walking class?
- You’ll get cueing, tips, and motivation from a knowledgeable trainer
- You can go at your own pace, whether you are walking, jogging, running or a combination of the three
- The app will take care of your distance and pace tracking, and you’ll get updates throughout the class to let you know if you’re hitting your personalized goals
- If you’re outdoors, it’s a great way to get some fresh air
- There’s a leaderboard (if you’re the competitive type!)
- You don’t need to think about what music to listen to – our resident DJ Kenny has that all taken care of with fun, upbeat playlists
- The class can sync with your Apple Watch to send workout data to other training logs
You’ll also be able to send individual questions to the trainer during class and hang out with other members in the group chat.
How do I get ready for a live outdoor running/walking class?
- Have your earphones handy & make sure your phone is charged
- Be sure to authorize your location and the health kit so your trainer can give you personalized stats in class
- Authorize access to the camera so you can snap pics of your journey and share them with the class! Note: Even if you turn your camera on, it will be off while you are running or walking classes and the trainer won’t be able to see you.
- Turn off WiFi if you’re outside so the GPS stats are accurate for your trainer
What do I do during class?
Walk, jog, run and have fun!
If you’re to be outside, head outdoors a moment before class starts. We recommend that after you get all set up and on your way, you put your phone in a pocket.
It is ok to hold the phone if you want to, but the phone will read the steps better if it is in your pocket. Be sure it’s somewhere that you can get it out easily in case you want to send a message to the class or trainer.
Like in other live classes, you’ll hear the live trainer, the Robo trainer, and the awesome playlist.
Your trainer will encourage you and coach you as you walk or run – he or she will be able to see certain data based on your performance including:
- Your speed
- Your distance
- Your elevation change
- Your step count and cadence
- Your heart rate if you are wearing an Apple watch or Polar H10 heart rate monitor
The Robo trainer will tell you if you are on track to hit your goal and when you have hit the halfway point of the class in case you want to turn around. It also will tell you if you pass another teammate in the workout, or if they pass you!
How do I sign up for a live running/walking class?
You can find running/walking classes on the Openfit app a couple different ways.
- On the Class Schedule tab
- On the Home tab by typing “run” in the search bar
- On the Home tab by scrolling down to Walking & Running (you’ll find both on-demand and live options)
Once you’ve found a class that you want to sign up for, click “Sign up” and you’re ready to go!
Can I walk in a running class… and vice versa?
Of course! At the beginning of class, you can let the trainer know whether you’re walking or running. Your trainer will adjust coaching based on your personal goals!
What if I have more questions about running/walking classes?
Head over to the Openfit Teammates Facebook group to post a question and one of our live trainers will get back to you.