25 Inspiring Meditation Quotes That Will Get You on Your Cushion
Whether you’re new to meditation or have been practicing mindfulness for years, an inspirational meditation quote can resonate with exactly why you’re choosing to meditate — or even make you laugh. Much like our everyday lives, not all meditation quotes are serious business. You’ll find plenty of funny meditation quotes that embrace our flawed (human) moments. Meditation is not so much about tuning out life, but rather tuning into life as it really is — and accepting and celebrating it.
Want to deepen your meditation practice (or start one)? Try Openfit’s Sound Meditation program, a series designed and led by Scarlett de la Torre to help you reduce stress and anxiety, increase productivity, create balance, and sleep better.
Within each 10- to 45-minute video, Scarlett creates soothing frequencies using “singing bowls,” a harp, a didgeridoo, gongs, and other harmonic instruments. The goal? To get you to shift your brain into a more relaxed, meditative state, which studies show can help improve physical and emotional health and well-being.
From ancient philosophers and modern teachers, these meditation quotes offer insight into this mind-body practice that can spark your daily commitment — or make you prioritize it on days when you might not have made time. Meditation has plenty of benefits, including dealing with stress.
Here are some words to inspire your meditation practice.
1. “If you seek joy, be joy. If you seek love, be love. If you seek peace, be peace. If you seek beauty, be beauty. If you seek magic, be magic. If you seek abundance, be abundance.” — Scarlett de la Torre
2. “Meditation is the ultimate mobile device; you can use it anywhere, anytime, unobtrusively.” — Sharon Salzberg
3. “Within you there is a stillness and sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.” — Hermann Hesse
4. “You know how your phone has a charger? Meditation is like having a charger for your mind and body.” — Jerry Seinfeld
5. “For me, meditation and headphones on the subway have been my sunscreen, protecting me from the hell that is other people.” — Amy Schumer
6. “Take a moment to release what no longer serves you, to create space for creative inspiration, and the most expansive expression of your voice.” — Scarlett de la Torre
7. “When we let go of our battles and open our heart to things as they are, then we come to rest in the present moment.” — Jack Kornfield
8. “You have power over your mind not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” — Marcus Aurelius
9. “The best cure for the body is a quiet mind.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
10. “I offer myself to something greater than myself. If it’s for one minute, 20 seconds, or 10 minutes, I at least stop in that space every morning and express to that greater energy that I don’t want to be alone as I move out into the world.” — Oprah Winfrey
11. “Meditation is your negotiation with your feelings.” — Russell Brand
12. “What’s holding you back from flying today? Let it go. Spread your wings and never apologize for your light.” — Scarlett de la Torre
13. “Life is a dance. Mindfulness is witnessing that dance.” ― Amit Ray
14. “Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
15. “I have lived with several Zen masters — all of them cats.” — Eckhart Tolle
16. “Remember the blue sky. It may at times be obscured by clouds, but it is always there.” — Andy Puddicombe
17. “Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.” — Lao Tzu
18. “The intelligence of the earth sings to us through the songs that come through in communion with her gifts and frequencies.” — Scarlett de la Torre
19. “The wave must think it’s really great. And then it dissolves. Even when I think I’m a wave, I’m just ocean.” — Krishna Das
20. “Meditation is not a way of making your mind quiet. It is a way of entering into the quiet that is already there buried under the 50,000 thoughts the average person thinks every day.” —Deepak Chopra
21. “It is in silence that we receive.”— Scarlett de la Torre
22. “Do you have the patience to wait until your mud settles and the water is clear?” — Lao Tzu
23. “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” — Gautama Buddha
24. “Reading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.” — Benjamin Franklin