Sweet potatoes are loaded with nutrition and make deliciously sweet and creamy mashed potatoes. Plus, they look more festive than russet potatoes with their bright orange color! The coconut milk in this recipe makes the side dish extra special.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
These creamy mashed sweet potatoes are a twist on the fall classic.
- 2 lbs. medium sweet potatoes peeled, cut into cubes
- Hot water
- ½ tsp. sea salt or Himalayan salt divided use
- 1 cup canned lite coconut milk warm, divided use
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh thyme reserve a small amount for garnish
- Ground black pepper to taste; optional
Place sweet potatoes in medium saucepan. Cover with water. Add ¼ tsp. salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat. Drain water from sweet potatoes and place in a medium bowl.
Add ½ cup coconut milk; mash with a potato masher.
Add additional coconut milk 2 Tbsp. at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Season with thyme, remaining ¼ tsp. salt, and pepper; mix well.
Garnish with thyme, if desired.
The Nutrition Facts box below provides estimated nutritional information for this recipe.