How to Make Your Butt Look Bigger: Exercises and Quick Tips
Among the ranks of aspirational body parts, like a thigh gap or six-pack abs, a bigger butt is on the wish list for many people. Of course, genetics play a role; if you’ve been naturally blessed with a bigger butt, consider yourself lucky. But for the rest of us with a flat-butt reality and bigger butt dreams, there is hope…but you’ve got to be willing to work for it. Here’s our guide on how to make your butt look bigger.
For more butt exercises that you can do anywhere, sign up for a free Openfit trial to access all of our booty-building workouts!
How to Make Your Butt Look Bigger Fast
Over time, smart food choices and the right exercise stimulus will give you a bigger butt, and we’ll dive into all that below. But what if you want to make your butt look bigger in a week? Or with just one shopping trip?
It’s possible, says Page Nielson, professional wardrobe and personal stylist. Here are her tips for creating the appearance of a bigger but.
- Pay attention to fit and cut. “Fitted skinny jeans with rounded seams in a large heart pattern on the bum lead the eye to believe there is more volume at the top of the rear than there really is,” she says.
- Avoid low-placed or too-small pockets. “Medium to large pockets set higher up on the rear are best,” Nielson says. “Small pockets look stingy on small bottoms and make it look flatter.”
- Play with bold patterns and embellishments. “Embellishments set up high on the back of the pant, such as embroidery, patches, and beads, add volume, as do extra details such as grommets, double pockets, extra seaming, and a contrast of stitching,” she says.
- Embrace your waist. Don’t hide behind tunics or sheath dresses. “Peplum blouses, jackets, and dresses with horizontal or angled seams and ruffles are perfect,” Nielson says.
Exercises for a Bigger Butt
For a longer term solution, there are many exercises that can help you grow your booty. But if your attempts to get a bigger butt begin and end with the squat, you’re missing out, says Pete McCall, MS, CSCS, master trainer and host of the All About Fitness podcast. “What a lot of people get wrong is that they usually use the glutes just in one plane of motion — the forward and backward plane,” McCall says.
In order to appropriately target all the glute muscles and build a bigger butt, you must work in all three planes of motion: the sagittal plane (forward and backward), the frontal plane (side to side), and the transverse plane (horizontal and rotational).
Here are a few to get you started:
Butt Exercises in the Sagittal Plane
We spend most of our time moving in the sagittal plane, giving you plenty of bigger butt-building exercises to choose from; the squat, the Romanian deadlift, the glute bridge, the forward lunge the reverse lunge examples of exercises that can help you get a bigger butt. in this plane.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and your hands on your hips. If you’re adding resistance, hold a pair of dumbbells at arms’ length by your sides.
- Keeping your chest up, back flat, shoulders back, and core engaged, take a large step back with your right leg
- Lower your body until your left thigh is parallel with the floor. Your knees should be bent about 90 degrees, with the right knee hovering a couple of inches above the ground.
- Pause, and then push off your back foot to return to the starting position.
- Perform equal reps on both sides.
Butt Exercises in the Frontal Plane
To round out (pun intended) your bigger butt workout, you need to move side to side in addition to forward and backward. The lateral lunge targets your glutes, aka your butt muscles, as you move in the frontal plane. Additionally, the skater lunge and the the curtsy lunge work in a frontal and sagittal plan.
- Stand tall with your feet hip-width apart. You can bring your hands up to your chest for balance.
- Keeping your feet parallel and your core engaged, step your right foot wide to the right without bending your left knee.
- Keeping your left leg straight, your chest up, and your back flat, bend your right knee, sit your hips back, and lower your body until your right thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Push off your right foot to reverse the movement to return to the starting position.
- Repeat on the left side, and continue alternating sides, performing equal reps on each.
Butt Exercises in the Transverse Plane
We’re accustomed to rotational motion in sports like golf and tennis, but it’s not typically a movement pattern associated with building a bigger butt. However, with a little twist, the jump squat becomes a bigger butt exercise for the transverse plane. (It hits the sagittal plane, too.)
Rotating Jump Squat
- Stand with your feet about hip-width apart.
- Keeping your chest up and your back flat, bend your knees, push your butt back, and lower your hips until your thighs are parallel to the ground. Let your arms swing back behind you to your sides.
- Pushing through your heels, jump up explosively, swinging your arms up, and rotate 45 degrees to the left. Land softly in a squat, letting your arms swing back behind you again.
- Jump again, rotating to the right and landing in a squat with your feet at a 45-degree angle from your starting position.
- Continue to jump squat, landing at alternating 45-degree angles, until all reps are complete.
What to Eat to Make Your Butt Look Bigger
Despite what Instagram influencers would have you believe, there’s no specially formatted snack bar or herbal tea that will give you a bigger butt overnight. Your glutes, are just like any other muscle: they need proper nutrition to grow bigger and stronger.
So what should you eat to grow bigger muscles, including your butt? “Fuel your workouts, then focus on post-workout nutrition to promote growth,” says McCall. That means eating high-quality carbohydrates—fruits, vegetables, whole grains—for fast-burning energy, and incorporating healthy protein sources into your diet, as protein is essential for muscle recovery and growth. Lean meats, eggs, and fish are all protein powerhouses and, therefore, can help you build a bigger butt.