4 Easy Ways to Cook Brussels Sprouts
You know Brussels sprouts are good for you. This cruciferous veggie earns its superfood status — a cup of cooked Brussels sprouts has only 56 calories, but provides 4 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber, along with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
But you might not think of Brussels sprouts as a food you love. Get ready to change your mind! If you know how to cook Brussels sprouts the right way, you can create crave-worthy side dishes that’ll have you reaching for seconds.
Whether you’re roasting Brussels sprouts or tossing them in the air fryer, these super-simple cooking methods are a perfect fit if you’re following the One Minute Meal Plan. Best of all, this winter veggie will be well-stocked in the produce aisle all season long.
1. How to Cook Brussels Sprouts in the Oven
Roasting is the most popular way to cook Brussels sprouts in the oven. Cynthia Sass, RD, CSSD, virtual plant-based performance nutrition coach, recommends this method:
- Slice or quarter Brussels sprouts and toss with extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place them on a baking sheet. Leave space between Brussels sprouts to prevent steaming.
- Roast at 400 degrees for about 35 to 40 minutes, until they’re crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
(We’ve got another easy oven-roasted Brussels sprouts recipe here.)
2. How to Pan Cook Brussels Sprouts
Sautéing Brussels sprouts in a pan is one of the easiest and fastest ways to cook them.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Clean and trim the Brussels sprouts. Cut in half lengthwise and add to the pan.
- Allow them to cook, stirring occasionally until they’re tender and have browned on all sides, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and other herbs and spices of your choice.
3. How to Cook Brussels Sprouts in the Air Fryer
While you’re preparing the main dish, let your air fryer cook your Brussels sprouts to crispy perfection.
- Heat the air fryer to 375 degrees.
- Clean and trim the Brussels sprouts. Cut any larger sprouts in half.
- Coat the sprouts with oil and season with herbs and spices of your choice.
- Add sprouts to the air fryer in a single layer.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through.
4. How to Cook Brussels Sprouts on the Grill
Fire up the grill for perfectly charred and flavorful Brussels sprouts.
- Clean and trim the Brussels sprouts. Cut in half lengthwise.
- Coat Brussels sprouts in oil and season with herbs and spices of your choice.
- Add the sprouts to skewers. (If you’re using wood skewers, soak them in water to prevent burning.)
- Place the skewers on a hot grill for about 20 minutes, rotating every 5 minutes or so until evenly cooked and browned.
How Long Do You Cook Brussels Sprouts?
The cook time depends on the cooking method, but it typically ranges from 15 to 40 minutes.
If you’re pressed for time, the air fryer is the quickest cooking method on this list — you’ll have slightly crispy Brussels sprouts in as little as 12 minutes. Roasting Brussels sprouts in the oven is the most time-consuming method, but totally worth the wait.
Frozen vs Raw
Raw and frozen Brussels sprouts can both be used with any of these cooking methods, but the end product will not be exactly the same. Raw Brussels sprouts have less water, so they’ll generally turn out more crisp — but frozen Brussels sprouts are great in a pinch.
10 Creative Brussels Sprouts Recipes
Brussels sprouts are delicious with just a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. But if you want to take your Brussels sprouts up a notch, try one of these delicious recipes.
1. Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Maple Balsamic Glaze
Get the recipe at Lemons and Zest.
2. Lemon Parmesan Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
Get the recipe at Alena Menko.
3. Honey Roasted Carrots and Brussels Sprouts
Get the recipe at Valerie’s Kitchen.
4. Roasted Sweet & Spicy Brussels Sprouts With Sesame and Goat Cheese
Get the recipe at Super Safeway.
5. Sweet Chili Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Get the recipe at Valerie’s Kitchen.
6. Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries and Lemon
Get the recipe at Slow the Cook Down.
7. Brussels Sprouts Bacon Cauliflower Colcannon
Get the recipe at Cupcakes and Kale Chips.
8. Caramelized Red Chili Brussels Sprouts
Get the recipe from Foodal.
9. Maple-Mustard Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Carrots
Get the recipe at Alternative Dish.
10. Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
Get the recipe at The Forked Spoon.