You can whip up a batch of homemade hummus in about five minutes with a handful of ingredients and a blender or food processor. And, it’s less expensive and tastes better than the kind you’d buy at the store!
Homemade hummus is great because you can reduce the amount of olive oil and tahini, making it lower in fat and calories.
This authentic Homemade Hummus is made with chickpeas, olive oil, sea salt, ground paprika, fresh garlic, fresh lemon juice, and of course tahini.
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) reserve liquid
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup tahini (sesame paste)
- Sea salt or Himalayan salt to taste; optional
- Ground paprika for garnish; optional
Place chickpeas, lemon juice, oil, and garlic in food processor or blender and pulse until chickpeas are mashed.
Add tahini; pulse for 1 minute. If hummus is too thick, add some of the reserved chickpea liquid. Add salt, if desired.
Garnish with paprika, if desired.
The Nutrition Facts box below provides estimated nutritional information for this recipe.