29 Inspirational Determination Quotes to Boost Your WillpowerDec 4, 2019
Whenever I need a mental pick-me-up, I turn to my favorite quotes. Willpower quotes, determination quotes, and mental toughness quotes remind me that I can do more than I think I can, whether it’s one more set of squats or cooking dinner instead of grabbing takeout.
I scribble willpower quotes in my workout planner, jot down determination quotes on my office white board, and use mental toughness quotes as inspiration when I tackle new projects.
If you want to learn how to increase willpower, your favorite quotes may be able to help you do just that. Science says so! A study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology found that self-affirmation can help counteract low or depleted self-control and willpower.
So the next time you find your motivation waning, whether that’s to work out, eat heathy, or just stay in a positive mindset, repeat one of your favorite willpower quotes to yourself. It might be the boost you need when you’ve had the same argument with yourself for the 10th time in one day about getting fast food for dinner.
Here are 31 of our favorites quotes to get you off on the right foot.
31 of the Best Determination Quotes to Boost Your Willpower and Improve Your Mental Strength
1. “The willingness to show up changes us. It makes us a little braver each time.” ― Brené Brown
2. “You’ve done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination.” — Ralph Marston
3. “For greater self-control, the science points to one thing: the power of paying attention.” ― Kelly McGonigal
4. “Your only limit is you.” — Anonymous
5. “The greatest discovery of all time is that a person can change his future by merely changing his attitude.” — Oprah Winfrey
6. “We can push ourselves further. We always have more to give.” — Simone Biles
7. “Most of life’s actions are within our reach, but decisions take willpower.” — Robert McKee
8. “It is the size of one’s will which determines success.” — Anonymous
9. “From small beginnings come great things.” — Anonymous
10. “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will.” ― Vince Lombardi
11. “The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” — Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman
12. “Willpower is like a muscle: The more you train it. The stronger it gets.” — Anonymous
13. “Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire. This is your moment. Own it.” — Oprah Winfrey
14. “Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.” — Carol Burnett
15. “Stop being afraid of what could go wrong, and start being excited about what could go right.” — Anonymous
16. “Be stronger than your strongest excuse.” — Anonymous
17. “A diamond is just a piece of charcoal that handled stress exceptionally well.” — Anonymous
18. “Lack of direction, not lack of time, is the problem. We all have 24-hour days.” — Zig Ziglar
19. “If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you.” – Fred DeVito
20. “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.” — Calvin Coolidge
21. “What you perceive as a failure today may actually be a crucial step towards the success you seek. Never give up.” — Richelle E. Goodrich
22. “With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
23. “The road to success and greatness is always paved with consistent hard work. Outwork your competitors, be authentic, and above all else, chase your greatness.” – Dwayne Johnson
24. “There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.” ― Beverly Sills
25. “Life doesn’t require that we be the best, only that we try our best.” — H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
26. “You have to believe in yourself when no one else does.” — Serena Williams
27. “Stop saying ‘I wish,’ and start saying ‘I will.’ ” — Anonymous
28. “The will to win is not nearly as important as the will to prepare to win.” — Bobby Knight
29. “There is no great talent without great willpower.” — Honore de Balzac