We love the combination of chickpeas, crisp bell pepper, and refreshing cucumber in this Mediterranean Mason jar salad. A creamy yogurt dressing with fresh mint and garlic brings all of the flavors together. Feta and parsley add the finishing touches.
This is a great make-ahead meal to take to work or on a picnic. The chickpeas marinate in minty yogurt dressing at the bottom of the jar, while the spinach stays crisp at the top. When you’re ready to eat, just shake the jar to disperse the dressing. Pair it with grilled fish or chicken for a heartier meal. The mint dressing tasted great on those, too!
Chickpea Salad with Minty Yogurt Dressing
- ½ cup reduced-fat (2%) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic , coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint
- Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground white pepper (to taste; optional)
- 2 cups chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained, rinsed
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup chopped cucumber
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat leaf Italian parsley
Place yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, and mint in a blender; cover. Blend until smooth.
Season with salt and pepper if desired; mix well. Evenly divide dressing between 4 pint Mason jars. Set aside.
Evenly layer chickpeas, onion, bell pepper, cucumber, cheese, and parsley on top of dressing in jars.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Shake before serving.
Celery - Substitute ½ cup sliced celery for cucumber
Cilantro - Substitute ¼ cup coarsely chopped cilantro for mint
Tomatoes - Substitute ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes for onion
The Nutrition Facts box below provides estimated nutritional information for this recipe.