Making your own basil pesto from scratch is easy and delicious! Use it as a spread on sandwiches, or as a topping for chicken, roasted vegetables, or whole grain pasta. Keep in mind that pesto is not low in fat, so don’t overdo it.
Have extra? Freeze measured portions of pesto in ice cube trays and pop them into soups or pastas for quick meals.
Try your own homemade basil pesto in this recipe:
- 2 cups fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. sea salt or Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
Place basil, walnuts, cheese, and garlic in a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped.
Slowly add oil; pulsing constantly.
Season with salt and pepper.
The Nutrition Facts box below provides estimated nutritional information for this recipe.