23 Things You Didn't Know About Alasdair Fitz-Desorgher
If you’ve tuned into any one of Alasdair Fitz-Desorgher’s many Openfit Live classes, chances are you noticed his charismatic British accent and passion for fitness within seconds. His innate enthusiasm for life is contagious and his desire to bring out the best in others is inspiring. But did you know he’s also a thrill-seeking, YouTube-loving vegan?
We got the chance to dive into this London-based trainer’s world a bit more. And, like all things Alasdair, his answers were charming — with a few fun surprises.
Try a live workout with Openfit for free today!
Inside the World of Openfit Live Trainer Alasdair Fitz-Desorgher
1. My favorite mode of transportation: I love to cycle or run around London — it’s the best way to see the city. But my guilty pleasure is driving. I don’t drive much, but when I do, I’m in my element.
2. My beloved pets: My family has a turkey, chickens, and ducks out in the country, and I’m currently trying to befriend a wild squirrel, “Buster”. He comes into my house most days for breakfast. I’ve been a vegetarian my whole life — vegan for four years — so they’re all strictly pets.
3. Before I was a trainer: I always wanted to be a special effects engineer and studied engineering at university. After graduating, I worked on movies like James Bond, Star Wars, Batman, Thor, and X-Men.
4. How I got started in fitness: My hobby was fitness, so as a personal project, I began running a free group fitness bootcamp. It eventually grew to 30–50 regular attendees. My work in the film industry was exciting, but the lifestyle wasn’t flexible enough. So I left and became a full-time trainer.
5. Things that fuel my passion as a trainer: Seeing people improve or achieve something they previously couldn’t, or that they didn’t feel confident enough to try. The first time one of my teammates nails a box jump or a pull-up, I think I feel as proud and elated as they do.
6. My three keys to maintaining a healthy lifestyle:
- Not eating animal products. With plant-based food you get more fiber, less saturated fat, and zero cholesterol!
- Be on your feet as much as possible. Sitting down all the time is awful for your metabolism, your spine, and your state of mind. These feet were made for walking!
- Lift weights! Not only does it strengthen your muscles, but it also strengthens your bones and joints. Plus, the more muscle you have, the higher your resting metabolism will be — so you’ll burn more calories, even when you’re asleep!
7. My favorite motivational phrase: You get what you work for, not what you wish for!
8. Music that motivates me: Electro-swing music always puts me in a good mood, so Parov Stelar is my fave feel-good band when lifting. But big club bangers, like Freed from Desire by GALA, get me through tough cardio sessions.
9. Someone who inspires me: Ross Edgley — the first person to swim around the entire coast of the UK. He’s an absolute machine. And he’s a super nice dude. And he’s got the bod of a greek god.
10. My favorite post-workout snack: Peanut butter with sliced banana on a whole wheat bagel and a protein shake.
11. My favorite splurge-worthy foods: “Beyond Meat” burger and sweet potato fries, with a big side of hummus (which I’ll totally dip my fries in). Don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it!
12. The number of hours I spend exercising each week: Five to seven, depending on my workload.
13. In my free time, you can find me: Kayaking, rock climbing, hiking, hanging out with friends and family, or stuck in a YouTube black hole learning about anything from anatomy to engineering.
14. My favorite way to unwind after a busy day: Watching the Great British Baking Show, Friends, or Family Guy, with a glass of wine.
15. My favorite place to escape: The Scottish Highlands (or the Caribbean, if money is no object).
16. My idea of a lazy day: Wake up, go for a workout in the park with friends, go for brunch with them after, cook a big dinner, Netflix and chill.
17. Something that scares me: Jumping/diving from heights. I’m not scared of heights, but I hate the sensation of free falling. That, and climate-change deniers.
18. Something that makes me smile: Animals.
19. Believe it or not, I once: Broke my wrist making a cup of tea! I also once coached Mark Wahlberg in a class at my gym.
20. My superpower is: I can guess someone’s shoe size correctly 100 percent of the time. It’s not a very useful superpower, but I guess I was last in line for the superpower handouts.
21. I am obsessed with: Peanut butter.
22. It drives me crazy when: People don’t put their weights back in the gym. And when people don’t use lanes correctly when driving. Probably the same people tbh.
23. Favorite exercise move: Box jumps or wacky jacks!