Do This 10-Minute Ab Workout During a Zoom Break
Got just a moment to spare between Zoom meetings? Get on the floor and knock out this 10-minute ab workout.
“You can work your abs more than other body parts,” says Openfit Live Director of Training Operations Jo Gomez, B.S., C.P.T. “Your core is already used in many larger movements, for example, squats.” So, you can do a workout like this multiple times per week.
Do the following exercises back to back, but take a breather for 30 to 45 seconds at the end of each round before repeating. Complete four rounds total. To ensure the workout is as effective as possible, stay focused and work to feel the burning sensation in your abs, Gomez says.
1. Bird Dog
- Get down on all fours with your hands directly under your shoulders and knees directly under your hips.
- Brace your core and squeeze your left glute to simultaneously extend your left leg behind you as you extend your right arm in front of you.
- Hold this position for 20 seconds, then return to the starting position. Repeat with the opposite arm and leg.
- Lie on your back with your arms down by your sides.
- Keeping your shoulders on the floor, engage your abs and press your lower back into the floor to lift both of your legs a few inches off the ground. Separate them slightly to create a “V” shape.
- With both legs straight, bring them together and cross your right leg over the left. Then, widen your legs into a “V” again before bringing them together and crossing your left leg over the right.
- Continue alternating for 20 seconds.
- Keep your lower back pressed into the floor throughout the movement. If your lower back starts to peel off the floor, lift your legs a little higher.
3. Plank Jacks
- Start in push-up position with your feet together, body in a straight line from head to heels, arms straight, and hands directly under your shoulders.
- Engage your core to prepare, then hop both feet outward into a “V.” With your core still engaged, hop your feet back together.
- Continue for 20 seconds.
- Your hips should stay level the entire time. If you feel them drop toward the floor, narrow your hopping distance.
- Lie on your back and lift your legs until they’re perpendicular to the floor. Keep them together and extended.
- Gently place your fingertips behind your ears.
- Engaging your core, tighten into a crunch, lifting your shoulders and upper back off the floor. Keep your chest open to prevent your shoulders from rounding.
- Pause, then return your upper body to the floor. Repeat for 20 seconds.
5. Bear Crawl
- Start on the floor with your hands directly under your shoulders and knees directly under your hips. Keeping your back flat and hips level, lift your knees so they hover a few inches above the ground.
- Engage your core and move forward by simultaneously stepping your opposite hands and feet forward in tandem (i.e., move your left hand and right foot, right hand and left foot).
- Continue stepping with opposite hands and feet in unison for 20 seconds. If you run out of room before the time is up, simply reverse the movement.
Looking for more quick ab routines? You’ll also find plenty of short workouts you can do live or on-demand through Openfit. Choose from programs like Xtend Barre and 600 Secs (the latter of which features workouts that all clock in at just 10 minutes), or search by focus (abs, arms, booty) and/or duration.